Remember when I was talking about my taste-buds evolving recently? Well one thing they have finally warmed up to are tomatoes.
I went over to my mom’s house the other day and she threw a bag of frozen cherry tomatoes in front of me. She couldn’t stop talking about how good they are for me, especially these ones, which were an assortment from her garden and my uncles garden.
Remember when I was talking about her being the green thumb queen? Well that green thumb runs in her family. So in honour of my green thumb family, I made a Tomato Tart.
This Deluxe Butter Flaky Pastry recipe from The Joy of Cooking is absolutely delicious. Your guests will be so impressed! Try it out and let me know how it goes.
Until next time foodies!
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 sticks of butter, cold
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening, room temperature
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 1 1/2 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 3 cups of cherry tomatoes
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- basil, garnish
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, sugar, and salt. Working quickly, cut butter sticks into 1/4 inch cubes. Add butter cubes to dry ingredients and break down with clean hands into small pieces. Add in vegetable shortening and continue to combine with hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of your crumb mixture. Pour the ice water into the well. Using your hands slowly mix together working from the outside crumbs into the well. If the mixture looks a little dry add a tablespoon more of ice water. Once the dough has come together, split it in half and shape both pieces into balls and flatten to resemble a disc. Wrap with saran wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet to medium-low heat. Sauté the onions until they are caramelized, roughly 15-20 minutes. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Remove both pastry dough discs from saran wrap. Knead them together and roll into one large thin crust. Place crust on top of a shallow 9x13 baking pan. Tuck in on all sides to form a mini crust.
- Using a pastry brush, spread whole grain mustard evenly on the pastry dough. Sprinkle cheese on top of the mustard in a single layer, then place the caramelized onions on the cheese. Add tomatoes on top.
- Whisk the egg with 1 tbsp of milk in a small bowl and brush the mixture around the crust with a pastry brush. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the tart crust turns golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it sit for 10 minutes. Garnish with chopped basil and season with freshly ground black pepper.